Wondering how to spend the perfect 7 days in Colombia? While it may not be enough time to see everything, you’ll definitely see all the highlights and more from top cities like Cartagena, Medellin, and Bogota! Read on for the best 7 day Colombia itinerary.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase something through the links, at no additional cost to you. Read our Affiliate Disclosure here.
Quick Facts before visiting Colombia:
💱Currency: Colombian Pesos. You can divide by 4 to convert to US dollars.
💶 Budget for a trip to Colombia: The average daily cost for a trip to Cartagena is $60 a night for both food and accommodation.
💜 Is tipping required in Colombia? Tipping is generally expected in Colombia, with a customary range of 10-15% in restaurants and discretionary tipping for other services such as tour guides and taxi drivers.
☀️ Best time to Visit Colombia: The weather is the same year round! With an average high of 87F/30C and an average low of 75F/24C. The peak season is in January when tourists want to escape the winter for a warm destination. The best time to visit Colombia is during the dry season, which typically runs from December to March, as the weather is pleasant with less rainfall, making it ideal for exploring the city and enjoying its beaches.
🏥 Travel Insurance in Colombia: It’s a good idea to get insurance when traveling to Colombia. I recommend SafetyWing which will cover you in case of trip cancellations or any accidents during your travels. Colombia can be notorious for pick-pocketing and crime so better safe than sorry!
7 Day Colombia Itinerary
Day 1: Cartagena Old Town
Where to Stay:
- Casa San Agustin ($$)
- Movich Hotel ($$)
- Ananda Hotel ($$)
- Sophia Hotel ($$)
- Hotel at the Park ($)
- Hotel Casa Agustina ($)
Things to do on Day 1 of your Colombia itinerary;
- Stroll through the Walled City. Even take a free walking tour with e Free Tour Cartagena
- Lunch at Epoca Cafe
- Get a photo with the fruit ladies near Plaza Santo Domingo
- Stop for a coffee at Abaco Libros Y Cafe
- Enjoy the sunset from the city walls and grab a drink at Cafe Del Mar
- Dinner at Carmen
Day 2: Old City & Getsemani
Things to do on day 2 of your Colombia itinerary;
- Breakfast at La Esquina Del Pan De Bono. Must try: Pandebono – a type of cheese bread
- Spot sloths in Parque del Centenario
- Street art in Getsemani
- Lunch at Cafe San Antonio
- Have a drink at Alquímico
- Salsa Dancing at Cafe Havana
- Dinner at Alma
Read my full guide on Getsemani
Movich Hotel Rooftop Pool
My favorite place to lounge at the pool has to be the Movich Hotel. I can’t get over the insane views here! You have to be a guest to use the pool unless you buy a day pass which will include food and drink but an extra charge for a towel and lounger chair. It is well worth it to relax here most the day and escape the Colombian heat! There are many rooftop pools though so be sure to check other hotels like Sophia Hotel and Ananda Hotel.
Alternatively, you can day trip to Rosario Islands, a one hour boat away. I’d recommend a boat tour like this one. The Rosario Islands are simply stunning and you can participate in water activities such as snorkeling and scuba diving on the Caribbean Coast.
While Isla Baru is not as nice as the Rosario Islands, it’s much closer to Cartagena. That’s why many people choose to visit here for a swim or other nice water activities. I’d definitely recommend booking a day trip like this one!
✈️ In the evening you can fly from Cartagena to your next destination, Medellin!
Day 4: Medellin
Where to stay in Medellin:
Things to do on Day 4 of your Colombia itinerary:
- Comuna 13 tour
- Brunch at Cafe Dragon
- See the nearby graffiti in the El Poblado & Manila neighborhood
- Evening street food & rooftop tour: I absolutely loved this tour – best food tour I’ve ever experienced. It was fun with a local who also had drinks with us and made the whole experience exciting.
Day 5: Day trip to El Penon & Guatape
Things to do on Day 5 of your Colombia itinerary:
- All day tour from Medellin to El Penon & Guatape
- Climb up El Penon for impressive panoramic views
- Explore the colorful town of Guatape
- Dinner at Mamasita
- Enjoy drinks at a hidden bar called Siete Pulgadas Listening Bar
Day 6: Medellin
Things to do on Day 6 of your Colombia itinerary:
- Real City Tours free walking tour of the Medellin downtown area. You’ll visit spots like Plaza Botero and learn about the history of Medellin and Pablo Escobar’s time.
- explore the Laureles neighborhood
- Salsa Dancing at Son Havana
✈️ In the evening or early morning you can fly from Medellin to your next destination, Bogota!
Day 7: Bogota
Where to stay in Bogota:
Things to do on Day 7 of your Colombia itinerary:
I did all the things below on a tour from GetYourGuide. I’ve linked the exact tour below.
- take the cable car to Monserrate to see incredible views of the city
- Walk through the historic Center, La Candelaria, and admire the street art
- Lunch at El Gato Gris
- Visit the Botero Museum & Gold Museum
Extend Your Trip
If you have longer I’d also add Salento and Tayrona National Park to your list. I had limited time and couldn’t make it to these but have heard amazing things.